Thursday, January 15, 2009

My First Time

Although I've made a career in and around the political process, I've never felt compelled to attend a Presidential swearing-in. In fact, my only inaugural moment until now was attending the MTV Ball celebrating Bill Clinton in 1992. We stood at the lip of the stage all night to enjoy Michael Stipe, Natalie Merchant, En Vogue (trivia question - who were they?), and an appearance by the First Saxophonist. Why go anywhere else? Best moment was coming face-to-face with ABC news anchor Peter Jennings garbed in what I could only guess was a Canadian admiral's uniform, replete with braids and epaulets.

Well, this time it's different. Ann and I will head from Philadelphia to D.C. on Sunday afternoon (presciently, I had rescheduled my trip from Saturday, which turns out to be the day when the President-Elect will board Amtrak in Philly for a symbolic ride to the Capital). Talk about a mix of anticipation and apprehension - we expect huge crowds, impassable streets, who-knows-what weather... and a deep gulp of history that we'll be proud to be part of.

We will blog our adventures on my trusty Blackberry. Next report on Sunday.

No comments: