Monday, January 19, 2009

Live from the HuffPost Gala

The press and blogosphere said that THE "celebrity-watching" event of the Inaugural would be the Huffington Post "Countdown to Change" at the incredible new Newseum on Pennsylvania Avenue, and I'd say they had it right.

We got into the "VIP line" around 9pm, just in time to see VVIP Larry David whoosh by (with, I believe, Ari Emanuel hanging on his shoulders), carrying bags of cashews.

We headed right to the main floor and the lip of the stage (same strategy we used for the '92 MTV Ball). Pretty amazing celebrity parade in just the first half-hour: Jamie Lee Curtis and the brilliant comedy director Christopher Guest, Sting and Will.I.Am (who are to perform tonight), telejournalists Gloria Borger and Bob Franken, Sharon Stone (interviewed by comedian/actor/telejournalist D.L. Hughley), Sen. Chris Dodd, Senator-to-be Ben Affleck, Wanda Sykes, Steve Case, and the inimitable Don King wearing a one-of-a-kind denim-and-spangles jacket celebrating "The United States of America."

We're anchored about 15 feet from the livebloggers who also seem to be trained celeb-spotters. I'll take them at their word (it's on the big screens here, so it must be true) that they've eyed Ricky Schroeder, Val Kilmer, Tina Brown, and Mayors Gavin Newsom and Cory Booker, among others. One of them just blogged, "Hey, famous people, please come closer," so I guess I need to move in their direction after I finish my post.

A nice fellow standing in front of the livebloggers just handed me a copy of "The Huffington Post Complete Guide to Blogging." I can take a hint. I'll read it next weekend and become a real blogger.

OK, guys, bring on Sting!

No comments: