Saturday, March 28, 2009

Odds & Sods 1

E-Readers: It'll be a little while before I enter chapter 2 of my Kindle Kronicles, but this article from Wired.com offers a nice pro/con on all of the e-readers currently on the market. E-Book Reader Roundup: Samsung's Papyrus Joins the Crowd | Gadget Lab from Wired.com.

Editors Wanted: Here's an excerpt from a review in today's Wall Street Journal of a history of Gray's Anatomy (the book, not the TV series). What error jumps out at you (but apparently not at the editor)?

"With this world as a backdrop, Henry Gray (1827-61) began climbing the professional ladder at St. George's Hospital in London at age 15. He didn't attend a university before starting his studies at the famed medical school attached to the hospital, and even then he focused on surgery instead of becoming a general practitioner, or apothecary-surgeon, as those doctors were then known. .. If Gray skipped a university education by choice, Henry Vandyke Carter (1831-97) initially went without one from necessity. His family was too poor to send him to college, so in the late 1840s Carter enrolled at St. George's -- Gray, 10 years his senior, was already teaching and working at the hospital -- and studied to become an apothecary-surgeon..."

My Day Job: I'm often asked, "But what you do every day at work, really?" My answer is us, "I usually don't know until I get there." This blog is not about my work, but now I will be blogging at work. Check out Comcast's brand-new blog, where you can see a couple of my postings.

Hot List: I subscribe to a few email services - from Amazon, Fodor, and others - that direct me to neat stuff on the Web or in the physical world. I often get a charge out of Very Short List, which lands in my inbox a couple of times a week. Among the things they've flagged for me recently: rare video of a '70s appearance by George Harrison on Eric Idle's "Rutland TV" comedy series where Harrison plays a pirate; the live performance archives of KEXP Seattle, a station that appears to be right up there with WXPN Philadelphia and KCRW Santa Monica as a live-acts showcase for modern music; "The End," a terrific collection of "end cards" from movies and TV shows -- no clues, you have to guess where they originally appeared; "The Big Picture," a photoblog by Alan Taylor of the Boston Globe, with huge, crystalline digital photos of news events great and small. Fun, and the price (free) is right. (BTW, Comcast Interactive Media owns a similar service, Daily Candy, that focuses on stuff of interest to women.)

No comments: